Monday, July 16, 2012

Martha 2.0



So often I think that Mary gets the title of the good sister. The one who got praised for her choice. The question we addressed more was, what about Martha? Sure maybe she missed the point when we first met her. What about the other times we see her.

The next time we see Martha is after her brother Lazarus dies. When Jesus arrives, instead of asking him "where were you?" she simply confesses that she knows He has the power to resurrect the dead.

In this third situation, we see Martha doing what she does best, serving. Not only that, but we see how her heart has changed. Again, Mary comes in worshiping Jesus in her own way. This time, Martha doesn't react as she did before, she just continues to to serve and allows Mary to express herself the way she was built.

So my question is this, if you typically identify with Martha, are you willing to follow her suit? Are we willing to look at the gifts He has given us, and grow into our own gifts? Or would we rather sit back and wish we had the talent that someone else has?

For me, I want to be the type that is moldable. I want to be the wife that God wants me to be. I want to be the daughter that He originally created me to be. The sister that my siblings need. Become the mom that follows His parenting style over the worlds ideas of parenting.

So how about you? How are you going to embrace the giftings he has given you?

3 comments:

  1. I love the story of Mary and Martha, but more so because we get a couple of glimpses of the sisters a few times in scripture. They seem to be beautiful, real-life, women I can totally relate too. One more on certain days, and the other at other times. I love they are mentioned a few times. Unlike Herodias, the kings wife who ordered the head of John the Baptist. What a way to go down in History. These are some of the girls were going to be looking at in my new study coming up. Stopping by from Meredith's. Blessings.

    http://positivelyalene.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alene! Thanks so much for stopping by! I've read many of your postings between your own blog and Must Love God. :) So blessed by your words here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy, I love this! Both Martha and Mary have qualities that all of us should desire and grow in. I think we just need the wisdom to know when to sit at Jesus' feet and when He wants us to serve. Either way, we must follow His lead and be content in how He's created us.

    ReplyDelete

My Red Sea Road

  For a few weeks now this feeling has come and gone. It goes as quickly as it arrives.  For several days, it felt as though we were staring...