Wednesday, January 1, 2020

A new decade

The last 12 months were filled with some life altering events. It was a year of deep loss and near-devastating sadness. Daily life changed quite rapidly. Each day a step of faith and trust.

In the fall, in the midst of grief, physical struggles, and many other things God saw fit to send a stranger to deliver a message. At the end of a concert a vision was shared with me. From a total stranger, an angel I'm convinced.

The vision, one that made no sense to this person, made perfect sense to me. A prophecy meant specifically for me. Sent at the perfect time. To soothe an aching heart. One that gave hope and light in the midst of darkness.

The promise that the sludge within (grief, sadness, gunk of life) was being forced out. Replaced with something greater. Replaced by an everlasting fruit. One that is only provided by the Spirit.


Naturally, since this encounter anything even remotely related to this word has jumped out at me and reminded me this His promise to me is Joy. Not a temporal feeling but an internal, eternal, resonating joy. No matter what comes my way, He has promised joy will remain.

As many do every year, I began to reflect, pray, think and look toward the coming year. And still, the only thing my heart repeated is "joy is near. Joy is on the horizon. Joy will sustain."

So the word for 2020 picked me. This year will be a year of joy. Studying it. Reacquainting myself with its meaning. But most importantly making God the top priority because if I'm not connected to the giver of Joy, how can I ever expect to live joyfully.

As I began looking at the word joy. Definitions, both dictionary and biblical. Searching out scriptures. Listening to songs, because let's face it, I'm my father's child and music often sinks in quicker than anything else.

Oh the gold mine that was found.

My scripture for this year is:
Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.        -Psalm 51:12 (ESV)
This one resonated in my heart. Joyful had always been a word others used to describe me. I hadn't realized it had diminished. My prayer is for the restoration of said joy. My part of this is to maintain a willing spirit and allow the joy to penetrate every part of my being.

I also stumbled upon a song that I hadn't heard before. One that so perfectly puts into words everything I feel and look to feel in this time of restoration.
https://youtu.be/VDiETOLBvxA

This is the start of my discoveries. I plan to share more of what I've found during my searching as time goes on.

I hope you'll join me on this journey.

Are you on your own journey? Have your own resolution? A word you want to learn about this year? I'd love to hear your heart too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Red Sea Road

  For a few weeks now this feeling has come and gone. It goes as quickly as it arrives.  For several days, it felt as though we were staring...