Thursday, January 19, 2012

Count Me Accountable

Last week, I joined a friend in posting to get real about living a healthy life.Not only are we both doing this, her post had such an impact and inspired so many that there is now going to be a weekly link-up over at Must Love God (which if you haven't checked it out yet, you really should. Some amazing stuff going on for God.)



Here we are a week later and boy did last week try to kick my tail. Between personal issues going on, a client having health problems and being in the hospital, and outside stress I could have easily fell. Satan was attacking me hard this week, but God's strength has proven to be stronger (like I was surprised).

Last week, I weighed in at 190. I also challenged myself to Eat Clean. Move more. Refresh Daily. I can honestly say I have made some progress in each of these areas. This week, I am weighing in at 184! I am so excited. My first break under 185 in several years.

Here's the break down:

Eating Clean--This is going to be a stair step for me, I think. Slowly changing my eating habits and re-wiring my taste buds and cravings. Step one started on the 10th. No bread or grain...period. Once I get used to this, I'm going to cut out Pop and sugary drinks. After a week or two of that, I'll cut out candy and sugary snacks, replacing them with healthier more natural sweet choices. Then after that I'll cut out red meat, it typically doesn't settle right in my stomach anyway. So, hopefully, by my anniversary in April, I will have a whole new outlook on my eating. Using it to stay nourished rather than fill a void that it will never be able to fill.

Move More--This has probably been my area of least progress. While I have played catch with one of my clients more (and believe me, I am up and moving when we do that...since he always throws it away from where I'm standing) I have yet to get into a workout routine, mainly because the personal issues thrown at me required rest and relaxation. Hopefully in the next week or two I will get started with that.

Refresh Daily--This has been essential for me this week. Had it not been for making time with Him a priority each day, I would have drowned in the weight of the attacks this week. While I have stayed up to date with most of my devotionals, I have also fallen behind in a few, but I am determined to catch up this weekend and stay caught up from here on out. I have learned that this is the only way to ensure that I'll have what I need for the curve balls each day throws at me.

Little by little, I am making progress. It's more about a life change and taking better care of the temple that He's entrusted to me. I have fallen into some bad habits, they took time to get into, I'm sure they'll take just as much, if not more time to get out of. After all, a life change is about baby steps right?

Will you join us? We'd love to have you.

11 comments:

  1. I love how you've broken down your eating in steps- may sit down with hubs today and figure out a plan!!

    And yes!! The refresh part is so important!! Never really added that part to my health until recently!!

    xoxo so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're doing awesome!! Way to go!! I'm learning more about clean eating and it's going to be baby steps for me, too. However, it isn't as difficult as I originally thought. (I tend to make some things much more complicated than they need to be.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided that today would be day 1 of no pop and keeping an eye on the amount of sugary drinks I take in as well. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you were here. I totally get the over complicating things. That's why it's taken me this long to get around to actually succeeding in getting back in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous that your hubs will do it with you! Any time I tell mine that I'm going to do such and such with my eating habits he's like "good for you" or "you have fun with that." At this point it's not as important to him as it is to me.

    I've never had a consistent study plan either until last march. My accountability partner and I started reading the bible through in a year (yes, we got a late start) and we have been able to keep up with it (for the most part).

    Thanks for stopping by Kristi. I am always encouraged by your comments! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea, Amy! I think I'm going to head over and check it out :) I pray blessings and blessings and blessings on you for your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caitlin! So glad you stopped over! We'd love to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, great start. Remember that it takes 21 days to make a new habit and don't tackle everything at once. That way you won't get so overwhelmed and think it all has to change right now.

    I am so proud of you!!!! Keep it up, 1-2 pounds a week adds up over a period of time. And remember, do NOT beat yourself up if you have a slip, pick up the pieces and hang on. I will try to keep checking in.

    Keep praying for me too, I am still losing and got back to my workout this week. It felt great.
    Love you, know we are always here for you :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, I've set the goal for my eating habits to be changed by our anniversary to give plenty of time between now and then. I'm going to take it step by step. As I feel comfortable with one step, then I'll start the next. It's probably going to take a while for me to get completely used phase 2, no pop and sugary drinks. Soo I'm gonna lay low there for a while until the cravings are diminished to next to nothing. A workout routine is something I haven't gotten into yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy,, I have done good this week.. I did my yoga 4 days this week, and cardio 2 times..and as far a eating healthy.. I just realized in Dec that I am Gluten Intolerent,, so I have cut gluten from my diet and not only have I lost weight but I feel AWESOME...
    keep up the good work ,,, and I will too.. God even used me in this area this week.. If you get a chance stop by http://glassofsweettea.blogspot.com/ and get a great recipe to Orange Cream Cupcakes and at the bottom read how God used me for a young mom of 3 in the Publix GF isle..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen! That story of the connection you had is awesome. My mom just went the Gluten-free route as well, I think more out of choice then necessity. I haven't had any bread for almost 2 weeks and I feel a lot better, sure I might not stay as full as long, but the energy I have in return is something I don't want to give up. Slowly but surely I'll get to completely clean eating, but I'm going to take it one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. [...] open it up for our readers to take part in as well. If you missed us last week, you can read mine here and you can read the MLG post [...]

    ReplyDelete

My Red Sea Road

  For a few weeks now this feeling has come and gone. It goes as quickly as it arrives.  For several days, it felt as though we were staring...